Saturday, June 22, 2013

Hello Big City.


So I went on a little blogging sabbatical. BUT I'm back and am going to try my darnedest to keep it up.
Last time I checked in I had just finished a wild year with AmeriCorps NCCC. I lived in 8 different states, shared a bedroom with more people than I ever thought possible, wore the SAME single pair of pants all year (by choice), met the most colorful and exotic group of individuals, and had experiences that I can't even try to explain. It wasn't easy, in fact it was really f**king hard at times, but I'm thankful I did it.
After a few months of decompressing and frequent indecision, I packed up my stuff and moved to the one place I never thought I'd live. The Windy City. Chitown. Chicago. 
I never thought of myself as a "city-girl", but I've recently realized that I have a nack for adapting to different environments. I'm like a lifestyle cameleon, blending in to the ebb and flow of different routines. I've taken to the busy hussle and bussle of Chicago living quite well, throwing myself right into the mix. For a little over a month and a half I've been working as a Corporate Receptionist for a swanky Real Estate Investment Firm on Michigan Ave. Our office has a great view of the lake, so naturally, on my lunch break, I speedwalk two blocks down to the water and lay in the sand, nice work clothes and all (maybe I don't actually blend in so well!) 
The new job has been going quite well so far. Nothing too noteworthy to talk about- adjusting to a life of computer screens and morning commutes. All-in-all, it's working out just fine for now.
On to the fun stuff- AFTER WORK HOURS!
This is where I spend my time trying to continually "Escape the Ordinary". Since that is my pseudo life mantra, I have to get more creative now that I have a not-so-unordinary "9-5". The good thing is that I find myself busy no matter day of the week verse weekend, stuff to do verse nothing planned. Something always pops up. I've already seen tons of great concerts, played hostess for incoming friends and a certain Western brother, learned how to bike via city streets, gone to Sox/Cub's games, started a urban garden, joined a softball league and the YMCA, navigated the Chicago grid system, won an annual croquet tournament, attended several quintessential Chicago summer street fests, and spent more money on food and beer in the past month than I have in the past three years! What a way to start my city year! 
Dispatch concert at UIC Pavillon 


My AmeriCorps friend, Tom,  came to visit! SO wonderful to see him again. 



Biking along the waterfront. 

I found myself some urban grass. 

View from my desk. 

"Walton Street Capital- this is Liz.  How can I help you?"

Millennium Park for Monday night's free concerts

Shaina and Chris relaxing

Old friends :)


Summer giggles

Cutie.

The fog started to roll in. 




Stadium food. YUMMMMMM

Rained out

Meet my roommate Marlena. She's a comedian. 

Up to no good. 






No comments:

Post a Comment