Monday, August 13, 2012

west bound

   Some of you may have seen my facebook status or new profile picture so it's no surprise to you that myself and my seven other teammates are heading west! There was a resource order placed Sunday afternoon (meaning they needed firefighters) and at the drop of a hat we are en route to Boise, Idaho. Right now Phoenix 3 is at wonderful Hilton Hotel in Nashville, TN with about 50 other wildland firefighters. They fed us a feast, I have my own bed, AND I only have ONE roommate for the night. That hasn't happened since before AmeriCorps started; usually have between three to five other gals to distract me from sleeping.
  So the details: We don't know much yet, and the things we do know are likely to change. As of now all firefighters are being flown to Idaho tomorrow on our own aircraft so we can make our way to the Trinity Ridge fire. Last I checked it was a 35,000 acre fire with over 600 people on the "intial attack". Our crew should be there for about 14 days once we hit the fireline. It will probably be the most physically and emotionally exhausting two weeks of my life. Crews usually work about 12-14 hours days digging line, felling trees, pumping water, hiking through woods etc etc etc. This is all with our 45 pound pack and firetools. AH! I suppose it's now or never for that six pack I've always wanted.
  All-in-all, I'm excited. This is something that if you told me a year ago I would be doing, I'd probably chuckle because I'd have thought there was no possible way I was capable of this. And maybe I'm not. Maybe I'll cry every night in my tent because my body hurts, the food sucks, and I want a real toilet. But as the founder of the Keystone Science School once said, "Dare to fail." If it's the worst two weeks of my life then maybe all I'll come away with is a six-pack of abs and a really great story.

Send me good thoughts!Catch up with you all in a few weeks!

- Liz

1 comment: